Hashimoto's Update

My blog has no theme, no common thread other than myself, no order, no regularity. I don't care. You all don't see the 217 other times I wrote in my blog and never clicked on Publish!

Anyhow, I was first welcomed into the loving embrace of a body that wants to eat itself when I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis in 1996. Since then I have battled my body. I've weeped. I've cussed. I felt ashamed because so many people have chronic conditions that are way more debilitating than mine. I have tried 974 (OK, don't count on the accuracy of my numbers) different things to feel better. That's for another post.

My point.

I've tracked a lot of medical data for 20+ years. My spreadsheets are to be admired. After today's checkup with my AMAZING Hashimoto's doctor, I had to show some of the dramatic changes.

First, a disclaimer. Weight is a very sensitive subject for people. I only posted changes in my weight to show how volatile my body is when I am undergoing an autoimmune attack (or flare). It also sucks because I don't like clutter. I tend to clean out my closet and donate clothes...and then gain or lose a chunk of weight. Thank goodness for great thrift stores!

February of 2022 is when I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis and palindromic rheumatism - I had gained almost 64 pounds in six months before that diagnosis. My cardio CRP was 51.5 - that wasn't just from eating too many cookies. My body was massively inflamed. Sed Rate, RA Factor, and ANA are some of the labs that led to these diagnoses. The stress to my body during this time period increased my thyroid antibodies, too. I was under a triple attack - no wonder I was sobbing on the floor with joint pain and could barely walk some days. 

I started methotrexate, a very powerful drug that can stop or slow down the progression of autoimmune disorders. Can. Maybe. Sometimes combined with other very powerful and dangerous drugs. 

Anyhow, at my doctor's visit today, I found out my Hashimoto's labs are the best they've ever been. My antibodies are lower than they have ever been since I was diagnosed in 1996. 

 
Look at my weight change between June and today. I've regained about 15 pounds. I've been eating all the carbs and sugar, too, which amazingly HASN'T been causing autoimmune response! With the past six months I've endured, I am amazed I haven't regained more. That homemade baked gingerbread sure is GOOD!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Hope He Finds His Spiral Notebook

Near Death?

The One Where Rachel deliberately breaks grammar rules